Recent Silverware

Recent Silverware
Carling Cup 2008

Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Freddy Adu interview with Benjamin Adler

Courtesy of ESPN-

Freddy Adu has found life tough in France since arriving at AS Monaco from Benfica. Still only 19, Adu has spent just 144 minutes on the pitch this season.

Freddy Adu

DougPensinger/GettyImages

Freddy Adu: Now playing for AS Monaco

The young American prodigy, a professional since the age of 14, is struggling to impose himself. But he sees a bright future ahead. ESPNsoccernet met with the former DC United player to talk about his career so far and his ambitions.

What do you take out of this season so far? Is it living up to your expectations or are you disappointed?
I am happy with my progress, I don't play a lot and I regret it but I can feel that I have progressed. I am training better, I have built better habits on and off the field, and that is great because the life of a pro comes down to little details. About a month ago I realized that I was too inconsistent and I have changed my way of working to change this, first of all in training. I now hope to just play more. I am ambitious and ask a lot of myself, I always remind myself I can do better.

Did you do your research on Ligue 1 before signing, on the style of play?
I gathered some information, yes. I knew for example that it was very physical so I was not surprised on that level. However, it is better technically then what I had envisioned.

You speak of the progress you have made, can you describe this?
I have to be better on the ball and also at finding it. My finishing is already much better, running with the ball also and that is what I really needed to improve at. That is where my margin of improvement has been the best since arriving in Europe. But, as I said before, I can do better.

You are only 19, which we often seem to forget. How is life in Monaco, so far from your family?
Very well, my best friend lives with me. He joined me after finishing his studies at university. He has kind of become my sports agent, I can trust him so it is great. The club's president will help him find a job in the region. He loves football and is playing for the third team.

And your integration within the squad?
I am lucky to be in a group in which many players speak English, so the language barrier is very small compared to Benfica. There the culture shock was very hard, in the beginning especially. And then I started to learn Portuguese and things became better. But here in Monaco, I am doing just fine.

Have you begun to take French lessons?
No not yet, I haven't really had time. But it is in my plans.

How do you deal with daily life in a locker room with experienced pros, egos, salaries and demands very different from MLS?
It took me six months to get used to it when I arrived at Benfica, so now it is not a problem. I learned: I work, I observe and I keep quiet. I take a lot from the star players, everyday and little by little. I really want to learn from them in order to progress, that's how it works.

After stepping back a little, did the buzz surrounding you after your very spectacular debuts not hurt you? So great was the expectations?
Maybe it didn't help, but that's what happened and I have to get on with it. When you are a pro you have to learn to handle it. I prefer to look at the positives. When I tell myself that I have already been a pro for five years, I smile saying "already, holy cow!" I have to put to use all that I have learned since the beginning.

Obligatory question for all Monaco players: playing in a stadium half full, it's not very attractive is it?
When you are a pro you have to play in all kinds of conditions, whether the stadium is full or empty. Of course I would like to play in a packed stadium but the fans that come have come to make noise, so it's ok.

Freddy Adu

DougPensinger/GettyImages

Adu in action for the United States in a World Cup qualifier against Guatemala last month

Having a president who has spent a lot of time in the United States, does it help or not at all?
Yes it helps because he is familiar with football in the United States and speaks very good English. But it's the coach I have to impress. And recently he has told me he was happy with me and I had to keep doing what I'm doing.

What language do you speak with Ricardo [Gomes, AS Monaco coach]?
Portuguese

What is your opinion on Ricardo?
Ricardo knows what he is doing, he gives off that impression. But it is very hard to read what he is thinking, it's impossible. When he is happy with you he lets you know, and same if he is disappointed. Players like to know how they are doing. It is important the coach tells them what he thinks.

Last season at Benfica, you were playing superbly at the beginning of the season before suffering a loss of form. What happened?
I went through a season with three different coaches, it is not easy. I was playing very well at the start then I went away with the national team for a World Cup qualifier. When I came back, Jose Camacho was not there anymore and I wasn't in the new coach's plans. I basically didn't play after that.

Have you contemplated a return to MLS?
No I have never thought about it. It's in Europe that I want to continue my career and I will do anything to succeed. I will make it. Everything depends on me. I have received the talent, I have to maximize it.

Your parents were in agreement about turning pro at 14?
Yes, of course. I played for the team of my home city so I still lived with them like a normal teenager.

Who are your best friends in the locker room?
Jean-Jacques Gosso, Jerko Leko and Patrick Müller.

Your dream as a footballer, what is it?
My dream is to play for one of the top European clubs, the top five. Tottenham are also one of my dreams, since I supported them as a boy. My objective is the Premier League which is for me the best league in the world.

One last question on the national team: How is the squad coming together for the next World Cup?
I see the the whole squad improving so I am very optimistic. We have a lot of young players who play in Europe and fight to get a place, they have a strong mentality. The national team will benefit from it and I can guarantee you that we will do better than many people think come South Africa 2010.


Linked here.


Tenuous link but I was pleasantly surprised that Freddy Adu is a Tottenham fan.

No comments: