Recent Silverware

Recent Silverware
Carling Cup 2008

Thursday, August 23, 2007

Daniel Levy Speaks

Courtesy of the Official Site-

Chairman Daniel Levy reflects on a few days that has seen the Club make
headlines off the pitch rather than on it...No doubt you would agree, it is has
been a tough period of time for everyone associated with the Club. Daniel Levy:
It has not been the best few days but you have got to put it into the context of
six years of progress and as far as I am concerned the whole matter is behind us
now. Martin and I have all the confidence that we can move this club forward
again. There has been much speculation and conflicting reports, along with a lot
of uncertainty. I am sure fans would welcome clarity on many issues. DL: I can
understand that. Firstly, no-one has been offered a job either now or in the
preceding nearly three years that Martin has been manager. Martin has my 100 per
cent support and I’d like the fans to understand that they need to take the last
few days in the context of what we think has been significant progress over the
last six years. Given that you have said that, people could think if the next
two or three results do not go our way, then a change might be made. DL:
Firstly, no change would be made on the basis of two or three results and I have
every confidence that no change will be required and Martin will continue to
bring us success. How did discussions with Martin go at the meeting earlier in
the week? DL: We had a very open meeting and I think it was long overdue on a
number of issues that we needed to bring out into the open. Following that
meeting I think we are stronger and we’re both going in the same direction. We
both want success and Martin has assured me that I’ve got his 100 per cent
commitment and I’ve given it to him. There is a suggestion that Martin must now
steer the team into fourth place – is this accurate? DL: No, what Martin has
said and what I have said is that we need to aim to be in the top four. I very
much hope that we will be there and he believes he has got the squad, but
obviously there can be no guarantees. Many may feel that we have an under
pressure and unsettled manager for the rest of the season – is this the case?
DL: I don’t think this is the case and I have just had a conversation with our
captain Ledley about everything. As a result of what has happened in the last
few days, both the players, Martin, the coaching staff and the board, all feel
we will be stronger for it. So we are back on track? DL: Absolutely. The
transfer window will slam shut shortly. There might be a worry amongst fans that
we won’t be able to attract the players we want to, given the events of the past
few days. DL: Let me put everyone’s mind at rest. Firstly, I don’t think this
would have any bearing whatsoever should we wish to bring anyone else in. At the
present time though, following my conversations with Martin, we both feel we
have a squad that is capable of mounting a challenge for the top four. On the
other hand, should a great opportunity arise, we would definitely consider it.


Linked here: http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/articles/chairmanspeaks230807.html

No comments: